In order to get live timing on the hill using the Protern Sync app, the Protern.io Sensor will need to have the latest firmware installed. We also recommend taking the time now to label your sensor with its new ID to avoid any confusion at the hill.
Determining if your sensor requires an updating
Turn on your sensor note what colour the LED flashes while it is looking for the satellites:
- Sensor flashes green --> Sensor is up-to-date. No upgrade is required
- Sensor flashes red --> Sensor upgrade is required
Updating the Protern.io Sensor
There are two major steps required to :
- Upgrading the sensor firmware; and,
- Labeling the sensor with its ID number so you can link the sensor with what you will see in the Protern Sync app
Before you get started, here are some things you will need to upgrade and label your Protern.io Sensor:
- USB-C cable (the charging cable that came with the sensor will work)
- Fully charged Protern.io Sensor(s)
- Computer running Windows 10 and Google Chrome
- Tape/label and marker
Step 1: Upgrade the sensor
- Download the Sensor Update Package
- Navigate to and extract Protern+Sensor+Updater.zip. This will include the Update Software and latest Protern firmware (ProternFW-0_10_0.zip)
- Navigate to the extracted folder and double click "Updater.bat". This will load the updating software.
- Click Settings -> Advanced Mode.
- Select the sensor firmware file ProternFW-0_10_0.zip.
- Connect the sensor to your PC using the USB cable that came with your sensor.
- Blue light should now be blinking slowly on the sensor and indicator beside “Update Sensor” button should turn green
- Click “Update Sensor” Button.
- A message “Update in progress...” will be displayed with a spinning indicator, do not unplug the sensor during the update.
- When complete a dialog will be displayed with the message “The update has been completed successfully”, click “Okay”.
- The sensor firmware has now been updated and the sensor can now be unplugged.
- For additional sensors repeat steps 6 to 11.
Step 2: Label the sensor with its ID number
- Using Google Chrome on a computer, login to Protern.io account
- Click the "Upload from sensor" button
- In the pop-up window, click on "Connect to sensor"
- In the next pop-up window, it will show the sensor name. Write on a label (or tape) the 6 characters after "Protern_" and place this label on the sensor.
- Unplug your sensor
- Repeat steps 2-5 for your remaining sensors
That's it. Now that your Protern.io Sensors are upgraded and labeled, you can use the Protern Sync app. Click here to learn how to use the app.